The Leaving Certificate Vocational Programme (LCVP) combines the academic strengths of the Leaving Certificate (established) with a new and dynamic focus on self–directed learning, innovation and enterprise. This two-year programme is part of an expanded provision that aims to cater for the diversity of participants’ needs at senior cycle. LCVP takes place twice a week in both 5th and 6th year. Students sit LCVP in place of 2 non exam religion classes.
Throughout the programme students are encouraged to:
- Be innovative and enterprising
- Take responsibility for their own learning
- Adapt to changing circumstances
- Evaluate data and devise solutions to problems
- Communicate their thoughts and ideas effectively
- Work with others as part of a team
- Investigate and plan career options
- Use information and communications technologies
- Investigate local businesses and community enterprises
- Learn from their experiences
Programme Requirements for students:
- At least five Leaving Certificate subjects, one of which must be Irish plus the Link Modules
- Two of the above subjects must be selected from one of the designated Vocational Subject Groupings
- Link Modules: Preparation for the World of Work and Enterprise Education ( in addition to Five subjects)
- A recognised course in a Modern European Language other than Irish or English
Optional items (any two)
Diary of Work Experience
Report on My Own Place
LCVP students follow the same subject syllabi and are assessed in the same way as their peers in the Leaving Certificate. For the Link Modules they are assessed by Written Examination (40%) and by Portfolio of Coursework (60%).
The Portfolio of coursework must be submitted on the first Wednesday in March. The written examination takes place the first Wednesday in May of the Leaving Certificate Year. The examination is of two and a half hours duration and consists of three sections which are outline below.
The structure of the Written Examination is as follows:
Section A Audio Visual Presentation
Section B Case Study (received in advance by students)
Section C General Questions (4 out of 6)
The Portfolio of Coursework accounts for 60% of total marks. Students assemble the portfolio over the two years of the programme and it is assessed at the end of the final year of the Leaving Certificate. The Portfolio and Written Examination are externally assessed by the Department of Education & Skills.
LCVP students receive the same certificate as other Leaving Certificate students but their Certificate includes an additional statement of the results of the Link Modules.
Grades for the Link Modules are as follows:
- Distinction: 80%-100%
- Merit: 65%-79%
- Pass: 50%-64%